Thread: changing out old, tired seat support strut...

Freshman Member
    Country
    U.S.
    Bike
    2008 '400'

changing out old, tired seat support strut...

The strut/shock that holds up the seat on my 2008 '400' is getting old and tired and will not hold the seat up. I have a replacement strut. Was wondering if I can replace the old with the new without removing any 'tupperware' (body parts)? Yes? No?

Glenn

Newbie Member
    Country
    U.S.
    Bike
    2011 burg 400ABS
    I have a 2011 burg 400 and when I look at the strut the top part is accessible but the lower end disappears into the plastic. Looks like some plastic removal is necessary.

Country
    U.S.
    Bike
    06 Burgman 650
    DB: There should be information on BurgmanUsA.

Bolzen: You should be fine with tupperware on.

Country
    U.S.
    Bike
    06 Burgman 650
    Richard Brewer wrote;

I found a strut source that was much more reasonably priced than the OEM strut. It's liftsupportsdepot.com.

They have two that they say will fit the 2006 Burgman 400. One says it has a nominal lift force of 20 pounds, and the other 25 pounds. I measured the force needed by my seat (totally stock seat) with a luggage scale; it measured about 21 pounds. So, I ordered the 25 pound version, and just installed it tonight. It lifts the seat, very nicely, usually without any need for any help to get it started (seat pops up as soon as it is unlatched). I don't know how the strut will hold up over time. Supposedly there's a lifetime warranty, but hopefully I'll not need it for as long as I own the bike. Total cost including shipping was $36.39.