Thread: '07 Burgman 650: "Electric Motor Sound" When Brakes Applied

Freshman Member
    Country
    Canada
    Bike
    '07 Burgman AN650

'07 Burgman 650: "Electric Motor Sound" When Brakes Applied

My '07 Burgman 650 has 39,000 km. Never any problems until tonight. When I apply either front or back brake, or both, I get a fairly loud sound, a "whooshing" sound, almost like an electric motor is revving up, which stops "whooshing" as soon as I release the brake handle(s). The brakes seem to be operating properly, and the electric motor sound is not connected to the engine....i.e. there is no increase in engine rpms that might account for the electric motor sound.
    I've checked the archives back a few years, but can't find anything like this.
    Very strange! Any ideas?

Freshman Member
    Country
    japan
    Bike
    400 k3 skywave
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyMole View Post
    My '07 Burgman 650 has 39,000 km. Never any problems until tonight. When I apply either front or back brake, or both, I get a fairly loud sound, a "whooshing" sound, almost like an electric motor is revving up, which stops "whooshing" as soon as I release the brake handle(s). The brakes seem to be operating properly, and the electric motor sound is not connected to the engine....i.e. there is no increase in engine rpms that might account for the electric motor sound.
    Very strange! Any ideas?
    The only electric motor I know of is the radiator cooling fan.

Sophmore Member
    Country
    USA
    Bike
    2006, 650
    I have an '06 with a little over 40,000 miles. I have not heard anything like you are describing yet. I have changed both front and rear wheel bearings even though they hadn't been a problem. I think I'd check the wheel bearings to make sure they are in order since they could be affected by braking. You could put the bike up on the center stand and run the back wheel up to some speed and see if you can hear the noise better while you are standing beside the bike. Just be careful when you do this. Good luck.

Freshman Member
    Country
    Canada
    Bike
    '07 Burgman AN650
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyMole View Post
    Very strange! Any ideas?
    Update: Started her up this morning, and everything's back to normal. I doubt it had anything to do with the mechanical operation of the brakes, since the front and back brake systems are separate, are they not? The "noise", now that I think about it, was more like the sound of the engine cooling fan, than anything else. It was clearly an electrical thing, because the sound would start as soon as I applied enough pressure to either brake lever to activate the brake lights.....i.e. you know, when you pull a brake lever, there's an immediate click that is the electrical switch turning-on the brake lights. When it happened last night, I had a fairly heavy load of groceries in both the under-seat storage area, as well as in the rear Givi-type carrier - but not enough in either to affect performance. I had also bungied a 4 ft.-long mop across the rear seat, but, again, that doesn't explain the noise whenever I applied either brake. It was a 3 or 4 mile drive home, and the noise occurred everytime I applied either brake, and only when I did so. Release the brake lever(s), the noise stopped.
    Next time it happens, I'll put the scooter on its centre stand, and try the brakes then.
    'Til then, it's a mystery.
    HolyMole