Thread: New for old.........

Freshman Member
    Country
    UK
    Bike
    650 Executive - 2011

New for old.........

Hi all,

I currently have a 2011, 20,000 mile 650 Executive which I have had from new - I absolutely love riding it. My only gripe is the excessive engine braking from around 12mph to stop.
    My question is - I have the opportunity to upgrade to a 2014 1,400 mile 650 Executive. Will I notice any real difference ?
    If one is to believe the publicity the engine and running gear is 'much improved' but is it ? I would be grateful for your thoughts especially from those who have owned both machines.
    If I do change I will be going from a black scooter to a black scooter so, apart from minor styling changes my main reason for change would be the improved ride.
    I look forward to your comments.
    Kind regards,

Derek

Country
    usa
    Bike
    an650ak9 & 2013 650
    Hi Derek
    I have owned both. Much less drag on the new generation. I like it, better mileage by about 5 more MPG. Not any faster. I liked the old bike and am very happy with the new. It will definitely improve your experience. Good luck.
    Harry

Country
    U.S.
    Bike
    06 Burgman 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    better mileage by about 5 more MPG. Not any faster.
    One owner said the post 2013 model was slower. Slower to accelerate and slower in terms of top speed.

I can understand how reducing transmission drag might alter acceleration from a stop light. I don't quite understand why it has an impact on top speed.

Country
    usa
    Bike
    an650ak9 & 2013 650
    I have heard the same thing about speed, and to me its not true. I have more than 20,000 miles on the 13 and it goes just as fast as the 09. And the both have been to 120mph, and have both gotten there quickly. By the way, I don't have a death wish but I have ridden in very straight, flat remote roads where you can see miles around.

Harry

Freshman Member
    Country
    U.S.
    Bike
    2017 650
    Quote Originally Posted by derekcpearce View Post
    Hi all,

I currently have a 2011, 20,000 mile 650 Executive which I have had from new - I absolutely love riding it. My only gripe is the excessive engine braking from around 12mph to stop.
    My question is - I have the opportunity to upgrade to a 2014 1,400 mile 650 Executive. Will I notice any real difference ?
    If one is to believe the publicity the engine and running gear is 'much improved' but is it ? I would be grateful for your thoughts especially from those who have owned both machines.
    If I do change I will be going from a black scooter to a black scooter so, apart from minor styling changes my main reason for change would be the improved ride.
    I look forward to your comments.
    Kind regards,

Derek
    Hi Derek.
    I've got a 2017 model and have not ridden any other Burgman so my views are limited. As this is a public forum I will share what little I do know about the new model. I have also noticed the excessive braking but on mine, that only occurs if I leave it in the power mode. If left in the regular automatic drive mode it is not excessive. I rarely ever run mine out of the automatic mode. The electronic control does a great job of keeping things jigging and whizzing like they should without my input. Not sure of the absolute top end speed as yet. I did see a bit north of the century mark during a spirited passing session so it seems plenty fast enough for me. Same with acceleration. Way more than adequate in every situation I have encountered. I don't know if you will notice any real difference but if you liked the 2011 model, I am pretty sure you will like the newer ones even better. I've had black vehicles for decades and opted to wait for the faster white ones in 2017.
    Last edited by dcotop; 08-14-2017 at 08:35 AM.