Thread: Instructions for installing 2011 650 Exec. starter switch?

Newbie Member

Instructions for installing 2011 650 Exec. starter switch?

Has anyone on here replaced the right hand starter switch module on a 650 Exe? I am having intermittent start problem and from what I read the starter switch could be the problem. I have tried cleaning it but no luck. It seems like it would be pretty simple, but I would appreciate any help.
    Thanks

Freshman Member
    Country
    USA
    Bike
    09 black 650 & 04 Honda Helix 250, love them both
    I have had to replace mine twice on my 2009 burgman. I first took it apart and sanded the contacts but it didn’t last. Best to buy a new one. Remove the cap off the center handlebar, then the apron cover, now the work begins. Mine has 3 wires: the main cable and 2 small wires. Be sure to tag the as not to get the crossed. Unplugging the and plugging them in again can be a bugger. The local cycle shop (privately owned) did it under $100 dollars labor, plus the cost of the switch. The switch and wires come as one package. I removed and replaced the cover ahead of time. Arcwing

Freshman Member
    Country
    U.S.
    Bike
    2017 650
    Quote Originally Posted by arcwing View Post
    I have had to replace mine twice on my 2009 burgman. I first took it apart and sanded the contacts but it didn’t last. Best to buy a new one. Remove the cap off the center handlebar, then the apron cover, now the work begins. Mine has 3 wires: the main cable and 2 small wires. Be sure to tag the as not to get the crossed. Unplugging the and plugging them in again can be a bugger. The local cycle shop (privately owned) did it under $100 dollars labor, plus the cost of the switch. The switch and wires come as one package. I removed and replaced the cover ahead of time. Arcwing
    Along those same lines, how difficult is it to remove the cover from the handlebars? Been considering using that as a place to mount a GPS unit.

Freshman Member
    Country
    USA
    Bike
    09 black 650 & 04 Honda Helix 250, love them both
    Removing the plastic cover surrounding the bars is a tricky snap just be careful not to force them. As concerning a GPS mount I can make you one and ship it to you. About 3” squire mounts on the right over you brake reservoir cover. Works great for me. 2 screws and your done.
    IMG_0508_1024.jpg

Country
    US
    Bike
    I really found the the instructions for working on the bike helpful on Le Dude.
    https://sites.google.com/site/testburgmancenter02/
    Once you work the bottom half of the handle bar cover loose, you can get to the 2 hidden push pins. Once they are out, the top can be raised. It has two legs that straddle the handle bar pipe right in the middle that a good friction fit.
    Bob
    Silver 650 Exec, Givi Windshield, Bestem top box, Throttle assist, 4" Pyle speakers, amp with FM, turn arrows and beepers, back rest, Garmin 665 GPS, Hercules Blind spot mirrors, Givi side cases, Heaterz grips

Newbie Member
    Country
    U.S.
    Got my master cylinder covers and balls which I use ram accesories for cell drink holder etc. From motorcyclelarry.com
    Last edited by n2oldchevy.; 08-12-2017 at 02:36 AM. Reason: spelling