Thread: Swivel ball v Swivel hitch

Country
    U.S.
    Bike
    2008 Burgman 650 Executive

Swivel ball v Swivel hitch

Has anyone ever used a swivel ball or swivel hitch to pull trailer behind your scooter. Wanted to know pro's and cons of both. Just bought a trailer to pull behind my 2008 Burgman 650 Executive.

Sophmore Member

Swivel hitch

I have a light cargo trailer that has a tongue with a swivel joint in it. It accomplishes the same thing as having a swivel connector, and it uses a standard 1 7/8" ball coupling; this way I can also hitch my trailer to an automobile if I need to. The swivel feature ads a measure of safety to towing with a two wheeler and also prevents putting a strain on the bike frame when parked on the side stand or if riding at extreme lean angles.

I have never towed a trailer with my 650* Burgman but am sure that it would do just fine with a lightweight aerodynamic trailer, especially if you select power mode on your transmission. My old 750 BMW was humming along with my trailer behind on a flat smooth almost deserted road in Wisconsin one evening when I was startled to see that my speed was creeping toward triple digits. Of course I slowed down immediately; it takes a lot longer to slow down or stop with the added weight of a trailer pushing you!
    Last edited by ridentoot; 09-13-2016 at 05:09 PM. Reason: error

Country
    U.S.
    Bike
    2008 Burgman 650 Executive
    Thanks for information on swivel hitch. I bought a small cargo trailer and it weighs 158 lbs. I looked at swivel hitch and swivel ball and both do basically the same thing. I went with the 1 7/8 inch Swivel ball due to 1/4 the cost and if I wanted to pull a different trailer without a swivel hitch.