Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seat lock

Newbie Member
    Country
    U.S.
    Bike
    AN 400/ Helix
    You may regress a few years, maybe fifty, before the parking brake is what it is today it was called an emergency brake. Like the cable on the 400 seat latch and parking brake it to can become stiff and finally break. Also most of the "stiffness" is almost always at the low point of the cable. Condensation can and does build up in those cables, even tho they are inside a plastic sheath. My seat latch froze up last year And I used the aforementioned wire to unhook it now. The parking brake I cannot move. Since I live in a flat area, (Michigan). I have never used the parking brake and I do not need it so I will not replace that either. You can have the same problem with your auto, even today,
    What was nice about the Helix parking brake it was a rod and not a cable. Also when ever you braked the rear wheel you were using it.

Freshman Member
    Country
    U.S.
    Bike
    2003 650
    Haven't had any trouble with the parking brake but I do set it everytime I get off the scooter as tranny will not hold it in place. It can and will roll without the brake set. I had this happen one time when I was gassing up and once is all it took for me to learn to set the brake.

Newbie Member
    Country
    U.S.
    this happened once to me as well, now I too set it every time..live and learn

Freshman Member
    Country
    USA
    Bike
    2005 Burgman 400 18g Dr Pulley Sliders Givi Windsceen, throttle rocker, Best Backrest
    I also had problem one time with seat latch but it was solved with WD-40 on the latch.

Country
    U.S.
    Bike
    06 Burgman 650
    http://burgmanriders.com/forums/arch...hp/t-2623.html

This is the archive associated with seat latch and cable problems.

Country
    U.S.
    Bike
    06 Burgman 650
    Quote Originally Posted by allstarjackass View Post
    I have a fishing line leader hooked to the latch and run out the side.Works fine.
    DB: Can you provide some pictures detailing how you did this. I thought that they existed on BurgmanUSA but while I found
    dozens of comments on the seat latch problem, I have yet to find a good explanation of the solutions.l

Country
    U.S.
    Bike
    06 Burgman 650
    Quote Originally Posted by allstarjackass View Post
    My release cable broke at the ignition switch while the seat compartment was empty.
    Cable breakage is not the only thing that keeps the seat from opening. It is fairly common after 12 years when the bike
    is not kept in a heated garage.

I am not sure how moisture accumulates in the low point of the cable, but that is where the cable usually breaks.
    Not sure why Alstar's cable failed at or near the ignition switch.