Thread: Suburu replacement belt for the Burgman 650 drive belt??

Suburu replacement belt for the Burgman 650 drive belt??

I read in parts of this forum about a belt made for a Suburu, that will also work as the drive belt for the Burgman 650. I tried doing a search but haven't found them again, as was wondering if there was any truth to this?? I spoke to a friend of mine who owns a 400, and he also informed me of this. Does anyone know the model of Suburu, or the part number of this belt that can/may be used for the CVT, if at all?? Thanks in advance!!

Highest Level Burgman Member

That is not a very good idea.

Where is this post that you are pulling out of the air? If the post cannot be found this is not a well founded question.

Why if the labor is so high would person wish to replace a motor scooter belt with a belt that is designed and made for a car?

Why not just use a shoe string it would be cheaper.

I just wanted info on whether or not it was valid. I didnt pull the post out of the air, it was part of a post that had to do with another issue someone had. I tried searching for it before posting, but didnt find it. In the searching that I did, it stated that Suzuki got the idea from a Suburu vehicle, and that they took the belt for this, and made improvements on it for the Burgman. My apologies, I just wanted to know if there was any truth to that, because if there was, they may have improved on it at Suburu, and since vehicles run higher rpms than scooters, it may be a better choice than the Suzuki belts. I apologize for the way the question may have sounded, but I am new to scooters, and was only asking because if that was the case, it may be less expensive to get the belt that way and have a more superior belt. I will certainly for future reference try to hold my questions until more research is done, as I see that my question may have upset you, and that was not my intention.

Country
    UK
    Bike
    AN650K9 Executive

I think youв??re right about the Suburu thing. It was posted on here a long time ago about it supposedly being the same belt as that used in a 1600cc Suburu town car which apparently used a similar CVT unit. The post also mentioned that the engine on a 650 was a chopped down Hyabusa unit which it turns out is completely bogus.

I mentioned the belt thing in a thread recently where we were confused about which belt the chap was looking to change. He was talking about the final drive belt on his 400 and I for one was thinking CVT belts.

Ring any bells?

Nige.

Country
    UK
    Bike
    AN650K9 Executive

Found it! Hereв??s the link -Development History of the Burgman 650

Nige.

These type of threads make me laugh and they appear on the BMW sites all the time. BMW owners seem to be willing to spend $15,000 on a bike but then become as cheap as can be after the purchase ... wanting to know if they can use Wal-mart filter #123 or a cheaper spark plug and on and on. I just laugh when in reality they are saving maybe $10 at best and taking a huge risk. This seems to be along the same line. Even if the Subaru belt fits use a product made especially for the vehicle intended. Just my $.02 of course.

Highest Level Burgman Member

I'm placing this update in case anyone else needs this to be answered. The belt is from a 1989-1994 Suburu Justy GL. I found a belt through a Subaru Dealership, and they stated that there was one available, but they wanted 578.03, which is more than what the belt costs on another site I found. Hope this will clear up any further questions about the matter.

Newbie Member
    Country
    UK
    Bike
    650 Exec
    Whats with all this Greek style letters from this member. Has his account been corrupted?
    Last edited by Steve D; 09-07-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Country
    USA
    Bike
    2008 400 - Black
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    Whats with all this Greek style letters from this member. Has his account been corrupted?
    It is a Russian spammer. I copied the text and searched Google for it. Google offered a translated version, so I clicked on it. I decided not to follow the link when I saw links in the status bar with the words "virusinfo", like Google's translation service was finding a virus in it.

And if you're looking for the post referenced, I've deleted it.

Chris
    Ebenezer - 2011 Honda NT700V
    Deborah - 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 (AN400K8) 27,389 miles (Gone, but not forgotten.)
    Barak - 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (AN400K7) 48,969 miles. (Gone, but not forgotten.)

IBA# 49894
    True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6