Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Burgman Riders Club

Highest Level Burgman Member Henry_C's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Bike
    K3 AN650 "Silver Dream Machine"

UK Burgman Riders Club

Would there be any interest in forming a UK Burgman Riders Club, open to all Burgman types? There is already a UK Scooter Club which 68 other scooter clubs have joined since its conception in 2008 with over 820 members. If we joined with 101 members (as of 24 Sep 2011) we would be a significant force to be reckoned with!

http://www.ukscooterclub.co.uk.....about.html

After today's protest across the country by bikers against the threatened EU rules which are set to come into being in the next two years; and the ongoing fight by London based bikers against the apparently corrupt Westminster City Council, it seems that bikers in general are increasingly finding it necessary to stand shoulder to shoulder against the onslaught on our chosen way of life. Democracy? Seems it's not exactly alive and well in Europe or in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland anymore!

Sophmore Member
    Country
    UK
    Bike
    400 - 2010

UK Burgman Riders Club

Other scooter clubs seem to be based on regions rather than scooter makes. I get everything I want from this site and the other U.S. Burgman site -- for which much thanks to the moderators and those who make the whole site work.

I joined the mass ride in UK to oppose the prospect of some EU proposed controls on bikers' dress etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFs2IQYlAt8[/video]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....Fs2IQYlAt8

(that's me on my white Burgman 400 at 2:32)

-- but I do not support the opposition to the one pound per day charge to park a bike (as many times as you like in a single day) in the Westminster area of central London (but I agree it could be modified -- say the first fifteen minutes free for those doing a delivery). I am sure there are existing regional scooter clubs which would welcome all Burgman riders who want such a club.

That said, are there Burgman riders out there who would be interested in a meet at the famous Ace Cafe on London's North Circular Road some time next year? If a couple of dozen are interested, I will try to book a date.

http://www.ace-cafe-london.com.....fault.aspx

Country
    England
    Bike

UK Burgman Riders Club

Good to hear the site serves you well, Holdfast. Good also that you were able to join the mass protests against EU interference in UK biking!

As for the bike parking in London, I have to say that on principle I support the movement against the Westminster parking charges when the whole congestion charge thing was set up to encourage biking against the use of cars. And especially when you hear of the alleged shenanigins by the council members! But I'm not a Londoner - you are and you probably have a far different take on the whole affair anyway!

I like the idea of an Ace Cafe Burgman Day if it could be arranged - we currently have 101 Burgman Riders but many live a long, long way from the Ace so it might have to be a limited "brunch" session? But I guess even 20 participants would be a success - and if on another scooter day it may be even more interesting for those of us who started our riding on the likes of the Lambretta LD150!

Country
    England
    Bike

UK Burgman Riders Club

For anyone in striking distance of Ipswich tomorrow and wanting to enjoy riding in this fantastic late summer heat, the Copdock Bike Show is being held at Trinity Park, Ipswich (the old Suffolk Show Ground).

http://www.copdock-cmc.co.uk/events.htm

If you plan to go then PM me and I'll let you have my mobile number to meet up.

Highest Level Burgman Member Glenn_B's Avatar

UK Burgman Riders Club

Fall is coming in north east Tennessee this is our weather for tonight and tomorrow.

Tonight: Scattered showers, mainly before 8pm. Mostly cloudy,
    with a low around 38. Northwest wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of
    precipitation is 30%.

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 57. Northwest wind between 5 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Sunday Night:
    Partly cloudy, with a low around 37. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Country
    England
    Bike

UK Burgman Riders Club

Chet said:

Fall is coming in north east Tennessee this is our weather for tonight and tomorrow–≤–?¬¶–≤–?¬¶
    [hr]
    This is ours for the next couple of days –≤–?‚?? I suspect Fall (Autumn –≤–?‚?? UK ) will be just around the corner–≤–?¬¶.but live while ye may!!

http://uk.weather.com/local

So let's make the best of it and RIDE
    !!!

Sophmore Member
    Country
    UK
    Bike
    400 - 2010

UK Burgman Riders Club

Henry_C said:.....
    .... I like the idea of an Ace Cafe Burgman Day if it could be arranged - we currently have 101 Burgman Riders but many live a long, long way from the Ace so it might have to be a limited "brunch" session? But I guess even 20 participants would be a success - and if on another scooter day it may be even more interesting for those of us who started our riding on the likes of the Lambretta LD150!

[hr]
    I've been thinking about this a bit more and realise we might not have enough Burgmans to make it much of an event. So what about a maxi-scooter gathering at the Ace Cafe? This should pull in all the other maxis like Honda, Piaggio, Yamaha etc; which would be interesting to see and compare. I look forward to seeing the new Honda 700cc Integra when released in UK.

I will speak to the people at the Ace Cafe.

In the meantime I had a brilliant run down the A24 to Worthing yesterday. This is a dual carriageway road with great fast sweeping curves through woodland, autumn colours looking wonderful in the evening sun on the way back. In Worthing there is easy free bike parking near the sea front. The route has a good stop off at Ryka's Cafe at the foot of Box Hill which attracts hundreds of bikers.

Any one interested in the Ace Cafe meet (May 2012?) please pm me.

Country
    England
    Bike

UK Burgman Riders Club

Sounds like a plan - not sure what response we may get though as the "maxi-muppets" forum seem to be the main maxi riders group and they were somewhat unfriendly when we started out here as the UK Burgman group. Perhaps that is now forgotten and they have become a little less "laddish" these days?

I hadn't heard about the new Honda before so I Googled it and....well, it doesn't exactly look like a scooter does it? No step through, and yet it isn't really a pure bike either? Wonder what market they're aiming at...no good for this crotchety-hipped old codger anyway!!

Your run down to Worthing sounds nice - I didn't realise there was another Box Hill there - I am more familiar with the one on the A4 just short of Bath. No Ryka's there though so yours sounds the better deal!

Freshman Member
    Country
    UK
    Bike
    Burgman 650 2014

UK Burgman Riders Club

As a member of both forums I can say that the Maxi Muppetts are more proactive when it comes to organising ride outs etc. The members are friendly and I have no idea what or could cause any conflict.

The MM site does seem to get a bit "laddish" at times but come onGuys thats life. Don't take things so seriously.

I bought my Burgman and fondly imagined lots of social rides and meets, (not to simply admire each others Scooters but to actually go and see someting). Both sites are sadly lacking in bothin the North of England anyway.

By limiting the site to pure Burgmans it causes problems if only because of the relatively few Burgmans about. By coincidence I saw my first other Burgman today in Wakefield - a 125! Apologies to Dave and Clive my nearest Burgman neighbours but we rarely get together because of work.

Country
    UK
    Bike
    2014 650 Executive

UK Burgman Riders Club

Gerard, I tend to agree with your thoughts, certainly as far as the UK is concerned (I'm envious of the group our new Italian member is part of??¶and maybe indicative of the difference in attitude towards two wheelers that a warmer climate can induce).

Regards,

Jim